Turn on more accessible mode Skip Ribbon Commands Skip to main content
Serving UC Merced through Stewardship, Accountability and Excellence
Sign In

Generally, fellowships and scholarships are not taxable when used for qualified educational expenses.  Non-qualified fellowships and scholarships (not used for qualified educational expenses) are taxable unless exempted by the federal and state revenue taxation code.

U.S. Citizens, Residents, Asylees, and Refugees self-report when it comes to taxable fellowships and scholarships. It is therefore advisable to keep track of fellowship/scholarship payments received or constructively received during the tax year. Payments recieved during the tax year may or may not be reflected on Form 1098-T. For more information on Form 1098-T, please contact Student Business Services.

Nonresident aliens who received fellowships and scholarships during a tax year will receive Form 1042-S at end of the tax year. For more information on Form 1042-S, please contact Tax Services.

How Aliens Are Taxed
U.S. taxation of aliens depends on their tax residency status. See IRS Publication 519, U.S. Tax Guide for Aliens.

  • Resident aliens are taxed like U.S. citizens on their worldwide income, at graduated income tax rates.
  • Nonresident aliens are taxed on their U.S. source income and/or effectively connected income (income connected to a U.S. trade or business conducted by a foreign person).

Dual-status aliens (aliens who change their status from nonresident alien to resident alien and vice versa within the same tax year) are taxed differently for the resident and nonresident portions of the year.

Year-End Tax Statements

  • Form W-2, to report wages to both resident alien and nonresident alien employees.
  • Form 1099-MISC to report payments of $600 or more during the tax year, to resident alien independent contractors.
  • Form 1042-S, to report U.S. source income subject to withholding, to Nonresident aliens (e.g., taxable scholarship and fellowship payments, independent contractor payments and wages to employees who claim tax treaty benefits).
  • Form 592-B to report state withholding on payments to Nonresident independent contractors for services provided in California (see Withholding on Payments to California Non-residents in Related Information).

Tax Filing Requirements & Forms
Information on federal and state filing requirements, tax forms and instructions can be found at the IRS website and at the Franchise Tax Board (FTB) website.

Determining Tax Residency Status

  • GLACIER, UCLA’s nonresident alien tax compliance system, is used to determine tax residency status for foreign students, scholarship and fellowship recipients, employees and other foreign payees including independent contractors.
  • More information on GLACIER can be found at the UCLA Payroll Services website.

Tax Preparation

GLACIER Tax Prep (GTP), a web-based tax preparation system designed for nonresident aliens, can be used to prepare Form 1040NR​ or Form 1040NR-EZ. Filers with a GLACIER record can use GTP for free. More information is available at the Arctic International website.